The Institute for Ecological Modernisation (IEM) is an international foundation registered in Bulgaria, which focuses on the mobilisation of intellectual, social, governmental and financial resources and applying them to the process of sustainable modernisation of urban environmental-health management in Bulgaria and its neighbouring post-communist countries. IEM was founded in October, 2000.
IEM is aiming to achieve the following primary goals:
• to promote scientific and practical solutions to problems in the area of environmental preservation, health care and quality of life of local communities;
• to establish proper conditions for public involvement in the decision-making process, and for sustainable and environment-friendly development of regions and local communities;
• to provide social aid and assistance to marginal groups of citizens and ethnic minorities for their social adaptation and integration, and for improving the quality of their life;
• to set up conditions and to provide high quality training, capacity building and professional development of local authorities and business administrators, dealing with environmental, health and quality of life issues.
• Address: 8, Ilarion Makariopolski Str., 9000 Varna, Bulgaria
• Tel.: +359 (0) 52 612858
Written on 4 December 2006.
HEAL (then EEN) has been awarded the Children’s Environmental Health Recognition Award 2006.
If you are a non-governmental organisation, you can join as a HEAL member.
If you are an individual and you share HEAL’s mission and goals, you can become an individual supporter.